Thursday, July 19, 2012

This is my happy place.

I have mixed feelings about word art.  On the one hand, I firmly believe language can (and has) changed the world.  On the other hand, if I see one more Live, Laugh, Love placard... throat punch.

So I debated how I felt about this little ditty from South of Main Street:


But finally decided: LOVE!  It's the perfect combo of two strongly-held beliefs of mine: home can be a heaven on earth + happiness is a choice you can make.  A few weeks after pinning it, I decided to make this my home's motto, and boldly risk getting throat punched by someone someday by displaying it proudly.

Then!  I found this easy-peasy tutorial from Southern Belle Soul, Mountain Bride Heart:


And immediately thought, This is my happy place!  I can do that!  Uh huh.

STEP ONE!  Get yo'self a stretched canvas, vinyl letters (or stickers from the scrapbook section of Jo-Ann... that'll probably work... sure...), acrylic paint, modge podge, and your choice of background material (I went with newspaper... that'll probably work... sure...).

STEP TWO!  Modge podge the crap out of your canvas + newspaper.


STEP THREE!  Apply vinyl letters/stickers.  (Jo-Ann only had the super sparkly version of the font I wanted.  Don't judge me.  Also, Shane thought I was done at this point.  He might have better pin-tuition than I do...)


STEP FOUR!  Paint!  (There is a lot more blue in this "slate blue" than is apparent in this photo. It was all artificial light up in my kitchen. Shut your face.)


STEP FIVE!  Watch paint dry.  Remove stickers.



STEP SIX!  Say swear words.  Order the original on Esty.

And that's how you Pinterest.

4 comments:

  1. Once again, you are hilarious. I am glad you gave it a try though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like swearing is truly an integal part of every Pinterest project.

    Love the new blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the post. I skipped straight to Step Six and am now unable to tear myself away from Etsy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You didn't GO with your original??? O.Oh....well.....nice try!

    ReplyDelete